Pars Tackle Health
Promoting positive attitudes towards good health and fitness in primary school children.
The ‘Pars Tackle Health’ programme aims to promote positive attitudes towards good health and fitness in primary school children, using professional footballers as role models. It helps to consolidate the Learning Outcomes covered in Health & Wellbeing, throughout their Primary School education.
Two DAFC players and a coach from the Pars Foundation visit each participating primary school, accompanied by former schoolteachers, Gennaro Giudice and Sandy Wyse who coordinate the workshops and introduces the players.
1. Players describe a typical day in the life of a professional footballer, stressing the importance of a healthy diet, of drinking lots of water and of getting plenty of rest and sleep, as well as the benefits of regular physical exercise on health and wellbeing. A DVD may be used to show the players going through their daily training routines. The players also describe their match day preparations.
2. Q&A session, in which pupils are given the opportunity to ask the players questions relating to football and/or health and fitness.
3. Players and coach then take the class for a practical session, either in a games hall or outdoors. Players may demonstrate skills, which pupils can copy and practise, finishing with a small-sided game of football.
4. Pupils and players return to the classroom for a photo opportunity and autograph signings. Participating schools will be offered complimentary U-12 Season Tickets which can be used to accompany selected pupils to Pars home league games
5. Evaluation forms, to be completed and returned to DAFC, are issued to the class and their teacher.
6. Resources for follow up work are sent to the class teacher, immediately after the visit.
» Diet – healthy eating is important as it produces positive benefits throughout life.
» Physical Fitness – regular exercise is beneficial to all aspects of health and wellbeing.
» Teamwork – learning to work constructively with others is an important life skill.
» Motivation – the development of desire and focus is the key to success in any arena.
Season in Numbers (2016/17)